Download 2018 Course Schedule
Some Marine Colleges offer a full marine Electro-Technical Officer (METO) Cadet programmes by a Foundation Degree route, leading ultimately to the award of:
- Foundation Degree (FdEng) in Marine Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- UK MCA METO Certificate of Competency (STCW A-III/6 OOW)
- A GMDSS radio maintenance certificate and an electronic navigation equipment maintenance (ENEM) certificate.
The programme also offers a direct top-up pathway to BEng (Hons) Marine Engineering and Management
The scheme consists of five phases (usually over three years): three spent at College for academic delivery and two at sea gaining practical experience. The education and training programme consists of four distinct but complementary elements.
- Academic education at College in conjunction with work-based learning on board ship
- ETO workshop skills training at College to MNTB-approved standard
- Practical training on board ship, including completion of an MNTB Training Record Book. This enables officer cadets to develop the professional competency needed for initial certification by the MCA
- In addition to the academic studies, the MCA requires officer cadets to take a number of safety and survival courses during their Cadetship.
For more information on courses, location and accommodation available, click here to find the best option for you.