With approximately 90% of international shipping carried by sea and around 50,000 merchant ships transporting cargo from food to fuel, The Merchant Navy is crucial to facilitating global trade, connecting countries, markets and businesses, successfully allowing the exchange of goods and services across the world.
There are many different reasons why to choose a career at sea. Here are our top 10:
- Life Skills – Merchant Navy Cadetships provide you with the highest level of training and experience to become the best Officer you can be. Not only do you spend time learning both technical and practical seafaring skills, but you also learn skills for life, for example, team building skills, resilience and dedication.
- Salary Potential – Due to the nature of jobs at sea and the skills required, starting salaries upon qualification can be in the region of £25,000 to £28,000, depending on the role and company.
- Positive Career Prospects – With companies seeking specialised skills and experience within such a dynamic and growing industry, well trained Officers are in high demand, so there are plenty of opportunities once qualified. There is also great potential for personal and professional development, and further career progression.
- Unique Lifestyle – Working at sea provides a challenging and exciting work environment, very different to the normal ‘9 to 5’ office job!
- Opportunities to travel – Many sea placements and further career prospects will involve some travel depending on the company and vessel type. Granted it may not be as glamourous as being on holiday, but you will get the chance to visit some amazing destinations you may not have even thought of before, whilst getting paid!
- Unforgettable Experiences – Being out at sea, learning to navigate your first vessel, watching the sunset in the Antarctica, whatever it may be, you will gain so many, unforgettable and invaluable experiences and memories along the way.
- Unpredictable – Due to the nature of the job, quite literally, no two days will be the same and you never know what might crop up!
- Rewarding Career – As well as financially rewarding, a career at sea is rewarding in so many other ways. You are part of a close-knit team who almost become your family, contributing to a very important global industry. You also have the opportunity to potentially benefit from long periods of time off as most contracts will operate on a 3 months on, 3 months off basis for example, depending on the company and tour lengths.
- Savings – As your course is sponsored – you receive an income, this is an ideal opportunity to start accumulating some savings!
- Transferable Skills – Whilst you may not be able to use some of the specialist skills outside of the maritime industry, everything else you learn and experience will be highly transferable in any career, making you extremely employable whatever you chose to do!